Resident appointments are made by the Residency Program Directors according to the outlined eligibility and selection criteria below. The residency application process at Sovah Health is as follows.
- Must be a graduate (or upcoming graduate) of a College of Osteopathic Medicine with Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA) OR
- Must be a graduate (or upcoming graduate) of a medical school in the United States or Canada accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) OR
- Must be a graduate of a medical school outside the U.S. and Canada who meet one of the following qualifications:
- IMG applicant who is a US citizen/permanent resident, or
- Have received a currently valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG)
- Must be able to obtain a full and unrestricted training license to practice medicine in Virginia.
Interested applicants must apply through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). Applicants are considered for interview upon receipt of information requested by the NRMP and available on ERAS.
Applications should include:
- A completed ERAS application form
- Letters of professional reference (minimum of three)
- A letter of good standing from applicant’s medical school dean
- Exam scores from COMLEX 1 & 2 or USMLE 1 & 2
- Medical school transcripts
- Personal statement
NOTE: For the 2023 ERAS cycle, SOVAH's Internal Medicine Residency Program will be participating in the Supplemental ERAS application offered through the AAMC's ERAS program. Participation in the supplemental ERAS application is recommended but optional.
ALL INTERVIEWS FOR THE 2023 MATCH WILL BE CONDUCTED VIRTUALLY. Invitations to interview will be sent out on or after September 30, 2022, and interviews will be held during the months of October, November, December, and January. Final invitations will be sent by January 3, 2023.
- Programs at Sovah select from among eligible applicants based on their preparedness, ability, aptitude, academic credentials, communication skills, personal qualities such as motivation and integrity and other relevant qualities pertaining to Graduate Medical Education (GME).
- Sovah shall not discriminate with regard to gender, race, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or veteran status.
- The Residency Program contacts selected applicants to arrange an interview. Applicants invited to interview are informed of the terms, conditions and benefits of the appointment including financial support, PTO and insurance benefits on interview day.
- Resident applicants are interviewed by the Program Director and key faculty/staff/residents.
- Although we are pleased to accept applications from qualified International Medical Graduates (IMG), Sovah Residency Program does not sponsor any visas. Sovah Health Residency Program will accept applicants that are sponsored by the ECFMG; however, proof of ECFMG certification is required (a currently valid ECFMG-dated certificate must be provided). Sovah health also accepts IMG applicants who are US citizens/permanent residents.
Residents are appointed according to NRMP procedures through the NRMP match and post-match regulations.
Residents wishing to transfer into Sovah Residency Program must provide written or electronic verification of previous educational experiences and a summative competency-based performance evaluation of the transferring resident prior to acceptance into the program. This letter must come from the Program Director of the previous residency program.
SOVAH HEALTH MEDICAL RESIDENCY PROGRAM IS A REGISTERED PROGRAM IN THE NATIONAL RESIDENT MATCHING PROGRAM (NRMP).
SOVAH HEALTH – DANVILLE
FAMILY MEDICINE RESIDENCY PROGRAM
NRMP MATCH CODE 2145120C0
SOVAH HEALTH – DANVILLE
INTERNAL MEDICINE RESIDENCY PROGRAM
NRMP MATCH CODE 2145140C0