Sovah Medical Residency Programs promote the importance of healthy lifestyle choices among its residents and foster the development of resilience to reduce burnout. The Programs have developed a Wellness policy, a Wellness handbook, and a Wellness committee. These components work together in promoting physician wellness using designated programming activities.
- Policy Statement
The physical, psychological, and emotional well-being of a resident is essential to developing as a balanced and competent independent physician. At Sovah Medical Residency Programs, residents are encouraged to lead health-conscious lives and make healthy choices to support personal and professional growth in all areas of their lives.
- Wellness Handbook
A resource manual is provided to each resident and outlines ongoing wellness research, the wellness curriculum description, and its rationale.
- Wellness Committee
This committee is made of two designated wellness residents, one from the Family Medicine and one from the Internal Medicine program, the two Program Directors, and the Behavioralist. This committee promotes the wellness goals and oversees the curriculum and planned activities.
Personal Wellness and Resilience Tracking
- Brief Resilience Inventory
- Maslach Burnout Inventory
- Physician Well-Being Index
- Dimensions of Wellness Detailed Questionnaire
- Weekly Resident protected time (used for appointments, free time, and taking a break)
- Call rooms and designed resident lounge
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Vitality Employee Benefit (online wellness program for overall health management)
Wellness Opportunities and Service
- Teams offer friendly competition with fun incentives.
- Welcome events introduce interns to the local community.
Meals and Gatherings
- Physician meals offered daily
- Healthy snacks and beverages available 24/7
- Regularly scheduled fun meals and gatherings
Ongoing Volunteer Efforts
- Community based options
- Geriatric facilities
Wellness Skills & Knowledge
Wellness Lecture Topics
- Time Management
- Stress Management
- Mindfulness-based Stress Relief
- Personal Reflection Activities
- Mental Health, Substance Abuse, and Suicide Recognition
- Exercise and Nutrition
Balint Method Group
- Regularly Scheduled Peer Groups
- (Facilitated by trained staff)